— Longtime Meta leader Sheryl Sandberg is stepping down this fall.
Sandberg, chief operating officer and the No. 2 in charge behind CEO Mark Zuckerberg, joined Meta (formerly known as Facebook) more than 14 years ago.
“When I took this job in 2008, I hoped I would be in this role for five years. Fourteen years later, it is time for me to write the next chapter of my life,” Sandberg wrote in a Facebook post.
Meta’s chief growth officer Javier Olivan will replace Sandberg, who will remain on Meta’s board.
Meta first opened an engineering center near Seattle in 2014 and has since grown to more than 7,000 employees in the region.
Other personnel changes in the Pacific Northwest tech industry:
- Ray L’Heureux, president and chief executive officer at Papalua Aviation, joined magniX as the Department of Defense consultant.
- Porch Group announced new members to its management team: Janet Zimmermann, vice president of people; Emily Lear, head of investor relations; and Sofia Rossato, president and general manager of Floify.
- John Thimsen, chief technology officer at Qualtrics, will retire in July. He will remain in an advisory role.
- Marissa Coughlin, former senior director of content, communications, and growth at Textio, joined Highspot as head of communications.
- Michael Kurtzman, former senior vice president of sales at Panopto, joined Zype as chief revenue officer.
- Sanath Kumar Ramesh, former software engineering manager at Amazon, joined Oscar Health as senior director of engineering.
- Pankaj Kakkar, former staff software engineering manager at Google, joined SoFi as senior software engineering manager.
- William Watt, former director of scouting, strategy and business development at Astellas Pharma US, joined Astellas Venture Management as president.